Sambaland

Commentary on my life in Brasil

Friday, November 25, 2005

We've GOT to be Clean

Wash, wash, wash your shoes, wash your dirty shoes! Round and round, up and down! Wash your dirty shoes! The Brazilians are OBSESSED with keeping things clean. Not just your everyday have a shower change your underwear and tidy up. I mean clean. Never in my life have I had my shoes hosed down on a daily basis. My leather fashion flip flops have kicked the bucket after 3 months. My running shoes are coming apart where the rubber meets the leather. And it's starting to rub off on me. I find myself thinking: "Is one shower a day enough?" Should I have the carpets washed once a month? Why is there a leaf on the driveway? What is that soil doing on the bottom of my son's sneakers? Did I wash my hands in the public sinks at the food court thoroughly enough? And really - do I have any residual body oils lingering on my skin? I mean - the Thais have good reason to shower 2-3 times a day. It's hot there. But showering multiple times daily here is a bit of a national obsession or a tradition of sorts. So, I shall evaluate my home & body hygiene and take a close look at my habits three years from now; look back on this blog, and wonder if I have truely crossed over to the other side of clean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home