Sambaland

Commentary on my life in Brasil

Thursday, December 01, 2005

RUSH

Remember them? Probably not. But here in Brazil, Rush feels contemporary. Turn on the radio and you get a trip back to high school (if you're my age). Rick Astley, Led Zepplin, Stevie Winwood, and countless other 80's wonders. Go to the CD shop and it's the same. Dead or Alive! Supertramp! The Cure! Where is the Beautiful South? Where is Texas? Why can't I find my favourites, but Level 42's entire works are readily available? I believe the answer lies in a section of the shop called MPB (Most Popular Brazilian I think). Start to explore this music and you get a taste of why Brazilians haven't had to move forward with popular music outside of their own borders. I'm starting with Jorge Ben Jor, and moving on with Ulraje Rigor, and now trying out Lulu. But when I'm driving here, I'll always be back at the high school dance, wondering whether Todd Bulmer will look my way. Sigh.....

2 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Blogger gracelandwest said...

Isn't Lulu the leader of Brazil? I didn't know he was a recording artist...No, wait, that's LULA...isn't it?

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger gracelandwest said...

Hey, U2 is coming to your city in February. And I have a wonderful bootleg recording of their visit there for their Popmart tour in 1997 (or was it 98?). And what the hell is wrong with Level 42? You're such a snob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home