Sambaland

Commentary on my life in Brasil

Sunday, December 25, 2005

Surreal Sao Paulo Christmas

I'm dreaming...
Recently coerced into joining the St. Andrew's Society Committee, I have been introduced into the surreal and lively world of Scottish Country Dancing, Whiskey, and the Brazil-Scotland connection (you guessed right; there is none). The new chair of the committee for 2006 hosted Christmas drinks at his "house" the evening of the 23rd. House, a word I use loosely, does not really describe the abode of this man who is posted here to close down a bank whose name will remain undisclosed. Probably, rock stars like Mick Jagger, or rich guys like Bill Gates have underground tennis courts and 3 levels of security necessary to venture near their abodes - but THIS WAS UNREAL. The meal was pot-luck HUNH?- definitely not appropriate for the surroundings; sprawling garden, large pool, spacious barbecue pit, dining table for 20 (26 at a push) and the grand living space with two storey Christmas tree and 10 foot high blow up Santa. I am getting my feet and head around the dancing, and learning about how the social circles move in Sao Paulo (you gotta be RICH - Sing to the tune of "I've got to be me!") - BUT BUT BUT..... just get me out for a divey drive to the Samba bar with the driver, place an ice cold beer in my hand, and let me go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home